Top Lamborghini Concours D'Elegance In US | LamborghiniChat
News

Top Lamborghini Concours D'Elegance In US

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Supercars' started by Rossocorsa1, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 Karting

May 14, 2017
    What are the top Concours d'Elegance in the US where Lamborghini's can present? Conours Italiano during Monterey week? Is there a Lamborghini equivalent to the Cavallino Classic? As for Amelia Island, I believe only the earliest models fall within their requirements to present.

2. joe sackey

joe sackey Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Close to you there is Meadowbrook, Reading, Newport etc and in Florida there is Amelia, Mar-a-Lago etc.

I'm not sure if all of these will work but these days most Concours D'Elegance have a Supercar Class in which a Downdraft can be shown.

Booker likes this.
  3. Booker

Booker Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Global Moderator Moderator Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    There really isn't one, but you can compete in some more general events as mentioned by Joe. Lamborghini specific competition is increasingly common at smaller events. With those events growing, more cars being allowed at others, and more lambos winning at larger events, I don't think it will be very long before we start to see more official and respected lamborghini events/classes

Ciro Izzo and joe sackey like this.
  4. Alpintourer

Alpintourer Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    I was at Amelia both Saturday and Sunday. Zero Lambos at the C&C Saturday and I remember only a single vintage 400 GT around. Maybe it was staged for an auction. Can't remember its location/day. Very crowded; both how they park the cars, and how many people were there. Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. dmn23

dmn23 Rookie

Nov 9, 2006
    La Jolla's supposed to have a dedicated Lamborghini class for the first time this year.

Ciro Izzo and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  6. Andrew R.

Andrew R. Formula Junior
    Giallo Subscribed

Jun 27, 2005
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    There was an LP400 parked up by the hotel entrance, and then an Espada, 400GT 2+2, and a Miura S on the Sunday concours. (and a Jarama and LM002 at the RM auction at the host hotel two days before.)

7. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 Karting

May 14, 2017
    I really wish someone would develop a “Cavallino Classic” style concours for Lamborghini. I suppose it could be part of Monterey week or Amelia Island, or maybe even a stand alone event. I know it’s easier said than done, but I think this is critical to the vibrancy of vintage and classic Lamborghini’s. As one that has shown my cars at the Cavallino, I can tell you that there is tremendous pride that comes from that show, especially if your car wins trophies. All the key Ferrari’s players converge for it (collectors, historians, restorers, etc.). It would be amazing to have something similar for Lamborghini.

Ciro Izzo likes this.
  8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Great idea, of course, this only makes the marque more valuable as people strive to keep them as the cars should be kept.

A Lamborghini-only event will happen in the future now that there are more & more classic Lamborghinis being kept in factory original spec, either restored or original, as is the case with Ferraris.

That said a number of Concours have classes where the cars can be entered.

9. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    The way this would, or could, happen is if several, or more, well known and respected Lamborghini owners get together and organize an event. That would probably set trust and confidence. Probably with the club and Lamborghini involved or behind it. It take tremendous work and commitment. They would have to have owners that are willing to commit to spending the money to have their car(s) shipped from all over.
    Daunting once you start getting into it.

10. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #10 cnpapa24, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    joe sackey and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  11. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 Karting

May 14, 2017
    No doubt, these shows are a serious undertaking. Organizing it is just a part. One can imagine that finding seriously credible judges would take some work as well, because I’m referring to a top notch concours, not just a display show (which is also great). Still, it would be amazing. Like I said before, it would likely make sense to tack something like this on to Monterey week because everyone who is anyone is there. Maybe even make it an even every other year at first. Just thoughts.

12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    IMHO a Lamborghini-only event should be modeled after the successful Ferrari-only events to do it right.

Selection process - IMHO this is critical to the success of the show. In so many shows in the past that host a Lamborghini Class, the quality of the show is let down my resto-mod & franken-mod Lamborghinis just to make up the numbers. This is not good for the marque as a whole, as the uninitiated who attend shows start to wonder why so many Lamborghinis are 'kinda jacked-up' as my daughter's peers like to say. There has to be someone who is very knowledgeable with classic Lamborghinis controlling the selection process to ensure that only unmodified cars which essentially remain as they were built at Sant Agata gain entry in the Classes. Then you'll have a quality event that will be taken seriously and will develop the marque as people vie to win awards.
    As a further step, you could make the event an Invitational as some of the prestigious events are, this will eliminate the time-wasting process of weeding through applications and rejecting many, and it will heighten the quality of cars. This latter method makes sense as there are far fewer known Lamborghinis that are period-correct than for example Ferraris, so the pool for qualified cars is smaller although they are fairly well known.
    Either way, getting the right person/s to handle the selection process is absolutely key.

Judges - Again, it is critical that we have judges that are truly knowledgeable about the models to which they are assigned to judge. I have been at shows in the past where blatant judging errors have been made because the judges assigned knew little about the cars they were judging! Here as well, if you want a quality event that will be taken seriously, experienced & knowledgeable judging is critical.

Sponsorship - You want to align with the right entities. Lamborghini SpA and a local Lamborghini concessionaire who is already enthusiastic about organizing events such as Lamborghini Newport Beach. Pirelli. A major hotel chain such as the Montage or Ritz Carlton Hotels. RM or Gooding auctioneers. Auto related entities owned by major collectors such as such as Weather Tech etc.

Organization - The event should be a privately-owned or dedicated committee-appointed organizers event modeled after Cavallino, not a Club event so as to avoid politics etc.

We should talk about this.

There were some nice cars there that year!

Ciro Izzo, cnpapa24 and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 Karting

May 14, 2017

Agreed with all of this, which is why I previously compared such a concours to Cavallino. It remains the premier Ferrari only concours in the US, if not the world. Having won platino and preservation awards at Cavallino, and can speak from experience that it is a serious badge of honor. The cars on the lawn are the best of the best.

As for my suggestion that it be held during Monterey or Amelia island weeks, this was merely to take advantage of the natural traffic so a concours can get off the ground. Just a thought.

Lastly, holding the concours in an attractive place would be essential. I would imagine a place like Southern California, Palm Springs or Arizona in early spring.

Ciro Izzo likes this.
  14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    It always makes sense to take a cue from something that is already proven to be very successful.

We'll talk more when you are here in California, something tells me this will not be that difficult to do in this age of instant communication.

15. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    This should not be "too" much of an issue because the 1st thing that comes to mind is......Japan Countachs! Love those guys but those cars...….

Maybe I'm wrong but there are, maybe, a handful of cars in the US (maybe even Canada) that are jacked up. Probably more later models like the Diablo and newer. Not the Countach like in Japan. The Urracos and Jaramas are most normal. Some Espadas are jacked up but most are ok. Miuras and 350/400 have been pretty much unmodified and getting restored or are done.

I'm biased, I'd like the east coast ;)

16. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 Karting

May 14, 2017

I live on the east coast, so I get it. Still, when I think of the best options, I must admit, the west coast is the best idea, in my opinion. The weather is usually spot on (particularly between LA and San Diego).

As for the purity of vintage Lambos, yes, compared to Japan, you’re correct. But, based on serious concours standard (such as Pebble, Amelia, Cavallino) many cars I see have a variety of issues that would result in deductions.

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Rossocorsa1 is talking about a traditional Concours D'Elegance, modeled along formal entry & judging lines such as Pebble Beach, Villa D'Este etc, which are not really like Club events where you gain entry so far as you have a car regardless of it's disposition.

I think the expression jacked-up is used loosely, if we want to use precise language, I think you'll actually find that the majority of classic Lamborghinis in the USA are modified to a greater or lesser degree, the factory-correct cars are actually in the minority, although I agree that trend is reversing and many cars are being returned to standard or fully restored.

Agreed, many of the Countachs on Japan are modified, although I see the tide turning there also.

That said if someone wants to modify their car or belong to a group that encourages modifying, there is nothing wrong with that, however this type of Concours will not apply or be a venue for those cars.

Either way, the type of event that is being contemplated here is very good for the identity and values of the marque as a whole.

18. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #18 cnpapa24, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    The issue today may be there is simply not enough Concours level Lamborghinis in the US to support such an event long term. That’s why you typically see them as part of a class at an event such as Quail or Concourso.

joe sackey likes this.
  19. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 Karting

May 14, 2017
    Good point. You’re likely right. At least not enough to gather annually.

20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Correct, which is exactly why this type of event Rossocorsa1 is describing has not happend sooner.

But this issue is slowly but steadily being rectified.

21. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 Karting

May 14, 2017
  22. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 Karting

May 14, 2017
    Help me out here - what will be the next significant milestone year for the Countach? I’m not exactly certain what year is commonly acknowledged as the “birth year” of the car. That would be a great opportunity to plan an exceptional concours to celebrate the Countach.

23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    There are multiple milestone birth years IMHO, for example:

1971 - Debut of the LP500 @ Geneva Salon.

1974 - Commencement of Countach LP400 production.

1985 - Debut of the Downdraft @ Geneva Salon (since you have a Downdraft).

I think any anniversary year of any the variants is an excuse for a Celebration.

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  24. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 Karting

May 14, 2017
    Looks like 2021 is the perfect year to plan a major Countach gathering and concours. The question is where and when.

25. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Sounds good to me!