The Countach LP500 recreation thread | Page 5 | LamborghiniChat
News

The Countach LP500 recreation thread

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Supercars' started by Redlambo, Oct 1, 2021.

1. I checked my archives.

AUTOCAR's 18th March 1971 issue clearly states the LP500 had an engine with a capacity of "5 litres" several times in the article based on technical information given them by Lamborghini for the car they inspected at Geneva.

WHEELS October 1971 magazine independently reaffirms this.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. 70's Italy anything could be true and this was the era of think of a number for the power ratings of engines

joe sackey and forza_lamborghini like this.
  4. Wish we had a definitive answer about what happen to the car, piece by piece by the people who were there.
    Obliviously not crushed further?
    Disassembled most likely?
    Just curious as to where the panels went AND the frame. I could actually see, in my head, the frame of the car outside, behind the building like the others. One end in the air sitting atop some other scrap.

Is it correct that no one keeps a car after it tests?
    It is handed back to the manufactures?
    Is it required to keep in their possession for a certain amount of time?
    Just do not understand how Italy worked in era '71

5. @Peter K. back in the 1970s crashed prototypes had no value. They had to be retained for a period of time by the manufacturer intact, they couldn't be parted out or cannibalised. Once that time passed the car could be disposed of and was usually parted out or sold for scrap. Being a prototype there was nothing that could be used in production. As Lamborghini went through some rough patches in the mid to late 70s many bits laying around were sold off for scrap to bring in some needed Lira! It wasn't just Lamborghini that did this, over at Aston Martin in England they had an auction selling off bits that were laying around to raise funding to keep the company going!

joe sackey likes this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. The scrap yard was sold to Tonino and you can see many of the prototypes and test mules in the Family museum in "Funo di Argelato" the building of the former Lamborghini Brucciatore company if my memory is correct.
    Visit Ferruccio Lamborghini Museum in Italy (museolamborghini.com)

8. Hello guys I'm new here but interested about that topic for an article I'm writing...

I was at the factory few days before the reveal of the car at Villa d'Este and according to what I understood there were no precise plans or bucks of the original car, so all had to be made after period pictures of the car. Don't expect maximal precision as Jaguar car do on their continuation cars, after dismantling and 3D scanning historic cars.
    You have to be careful comparing pictures of the new LP500 to some period diagrams that could not have been drawn after real plans, but just after pictures or so...

For sure the car is not 100 % correct to the original. The main reason being that the 71' LP500 was hand built and thus not symmetrical – left and right sides were slightly different. First, that would be impossible to accurately replicate, and then they chose to make the 2021 car symmetrical, with the very same dimensions on both side.

I asked about the sills. My source at Polo Storico told me they are correct to the original and to the documents they have, telling me not to trust all period pictures that are not in very good definition.
    But I agree with you : I don't see the rails under the sills on the first 1971 pictures of the car. BUT it looks like they are here on the MIRA crash test pictures...

Last thing I have been told is that the 5,0 l engine quickly disappeared from the LP500 and no one knows what it became, replaced by a modified 4,0 l. The 2021 LP500 has a 4,0 l modified in the same way as it was done in 1971. Nothing has been made to improve the cooling as the replica car is not supposed to be driven more than few meters

So according to Lamborghini, the car is as technically correct to the showcar as possible.

alan likes this.
  9. Very interesting! Thank you very much!

10. 'I asked about the sills. My source at Polo Storico told me they are correct to the original and to the documents they have, telling me not to trust all period pictures that are not in very good definition.
    But I agree with you : I don't see the rails under the sills on the first 1971 pictures of the car. BUT it looks like they are here on the MIRA crash test pictures...'

Strange as the 71 show car clearly had no sills, so for Lamborghini to say it is correct to the show car, is odd. Though I would really like to know why the nose of the car is rounded on the sides, as on a production LP400. Rather than being 'creased' as they have the crease on the sides of the recreation behind the front wheel arch back, yet it is missing from the nose which the original car had in all its guises.
    Just my two bug bears, If the sill was correct and the nose creased I would be in total awe of this recreation, instead of just very impressed.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. #110 joe sackey, Nov 24, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    It's not only odd, it's denial of the obvious, pictures don't lie.

The recreation is clearly based on the car showed at 1971 in Geneva which had a 5 liter engine (however briefly) and no sill seams, it's not the later much-modified car crashed at MIRA which is not a legitimate comparison.

13. Agreed the MIRA car was already massively modified so you can't pick and choose which version they made. Either the show version which is wrong because of the sills or the MIRA version which is wrong because of the missing NACA ducts on the side. So much BS accepted as gospel because 'Polo Storico' says it.

joe sackey likes this.
  14. Yes, I haven't seen the replica, but I have seen that 1/1 model that was used to validate the car's dimensions (with the LPI-800 1/1 model)

Question could be : when did these rails have been added on the original car, and why ? Most of the pictures we have of the original LP500 are either very early (the press shoot) or late (at MIRA). But that doesn't tell us when the rails section have been fitted (and maybe there are allready here, in a much smaller form from start : no pictures i've seen can infirm that)... Maybe there were fitted here on some early stages, just after the press shoots and the presentation of the car.
    Only good quality black and white pictures of the underneath of the car would confirm or infirm that. All the rest is speculation.

And why were these rails sections fitted on the car ? A theory : maybe the monocoque of the LP500 was to weak to be used and the road and they were needed to strengthen the car. This could explains why there are back on the 2021 Replica.

Whatever : no car made from pictures can be an exact replica of the original (there are far more mistakes in the BMW Garmisch recreation for instance). And I prefer it to be road worthy and see it on the move, than a perfect xerox being a still sculpture.

15. My mistake, looked at pictures of LP500 during Bob Wallace testing : looks like smooth sills. But what can hide in the shadow of these bad pictures ?

16. I understand your take (and agree even with that comparing drawings to recreation is not a good way), but the burden of proof is reversed in case of the sills. I always thought in the MIRA pictures these sills were part of the construction to smash the car forward, it did not connect in my head that those would be part of the car :)

Yan Alexandre likes this.
  17. To be true, so do I :)

18. The crashed car is dismantled and disappeared. Where's the yellow car? Both dismantled and dispersed?

19. How about that interior!?!? Very few seem to be focused on that interior. Which really nice!

20. Peter K. likes this.
  21. God, I love the 70s

22. Maybe 'Polo Storico' was too busy looking at the girl to catch that detail

23. Would be very cool if Albert also used the car to recreate some of the photos with period correct attire on the woman and same locations.

24. #123 alan, Nov 25, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    Great minds think alike. I was going to suggest this also!
    Most of the great period pics are able to be found in this link.
    Lamborghini Countach LP500 prototype - scans from 1971-74 magazines (timpelen.com)
    I particularly like these sets. He should recreate them.:)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login