Stripping paint from car | LamborghiniChat
News

Stripping paint from car

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Chadbourn Bolles, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Chadbourn Bolles

Chadbourn Bolles Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Leesville, SC USA
    Full Name:
    Chadbourn Bolles
    There are many ways to remove paint, from mild to super wild and very messy.

The MAIN THING here is NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER use SODA BLASTING. WELL that is unless you have stripped every wire and wire connection and switches and anything else electric from the car.
    SODA does a great job stripping paint, BUT, BUT, soda will also destroy every electrical part, connection and anything else electrical. Believe me BEEN there done that. Friend did a Jag several years ago and ALL THE electrics in the car were toast. Now if it were just connections and you water washed each of them taking the time to make sure there was not even a hint of soda left, you might be OK.
    Even if you have stripped everything out of the car, once soda blasting is done, car will have to be REALLY washed inside and out, and I mean really washed. You would be surprise where soda can hid after blasting.

I have read several articles talking about soda blasting, BUT none of them talk about the down side, when it comes to the electrical system.

2. EarlyCat

EarlyCat Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Also extra care & prep is required or possibly later the new paint will come off in patches.

3. Chadbourn Bolles

Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Leesville, SC USA
    Full Name:
    Chadbourn Bolles
    Also extra care & prep is required or possibly later the new paint will come off in patches. Another GOOD reason the REALLY wash the car, inside and out. When painting, the blast of air/paint can blow out the little pockets of soda and ruin the paint job.

4. EarlyCat

EarlyCat Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Beyond washing, you have to sand anything that you would like paint to adhere to. The finish is so slick that paint has trouble adhering.

5. Chadbourn Bolles

Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Leesville, SC USA
    Full Name:
    Chadbourn Bolles
    Beyond washing, you have to sand anything that you would like paint to adhere to. The finish is so slick that paint has trouble adhering.

Thanks, it is the little things that count the most.

6. GraemeS

GraemeS Karting

Jun 6, 2005
    Auckland New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graeme Stebbing
    Hi Chad I once stripped the exterior of a car that had 6 layers of paint,I used a 1000w heligen work lamp while wearing welding goggles you just gently warm up the panel and use a blade scraper and push it through the paint and it just scrolls off all 6 layers at once to bare steel , like you would do with a cheese scraper a quick sand and you were done,it was very fast and not messy at all.

7. Chadbourn Bolles

Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Leesville, SC USA
    Full Name:
    Chadbourn Bolles