Gallardo - Oil filter: help!! | LamborghiniChat
News

Gallardo Oil filter: help!!

Discussion in 'V10 Lamborghinis' started by vincep99, Jul 2, 2019.

1. vincep99

vincep99 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    When removing my oil filter on my 05, the filter element did not come out with the canister. There is not enough room (height) to remove the canister without the filter attached to it. I tried to grab the filter element but the O-ring at the bottom is keeping it attached.

I suppose I can tug harder on the element (I don't care if I crush the pleats since I am installing a new element anyway), but don't want to make anything worse.

Anybody have this problem and have a solution?

I am also worried that this may mean the tabs in the housing that retain the element are broken, which I hope does not mean I have to pull the entire intake plenum to fish them out.

It is a brand new canister (as of last year), which bugs me even more.

2. vincep99

vincep99 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I solved it.

I gently wiggled the filter element with two fingers and it came out. You can only raise the cap about an inch to get at the element.
    The cap is designed to hold the filter in place while installing and removing, but mine came loose. Luckily it was not because the tab was broken, but simply by design. The tab is asymmetrical: it is a solid stop on one side but a ramp on the other. I think the filter element slipped out of the cap when I was installing it; at least the way the ramp is designed points to this. Anyone know any more?