Miura, the original supercar | Page 754 | LamborghiniChat
News

Miura, the original supercar

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Supercars' started by joe sackey, Dec 5, 2006.

1. pjt1104

pjt1104 Rookie

Jan 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    philip turner
    Hi, I currently own 3198 and the car was painted rosso miura and trimmed in black leather at the factory before Tom Cook took delivery. He actually picked the car up from the factory and never knew it was shown as blue/white on Lamborghini records. I have the order forms showing the Rosso Miura and Black combination. Unsurprisingly, Lamborghini records still showed it as blue/white even though i sent them all of the information to show otherwise. When it was restored we could see the dark blue paint underneath which caused a brief dilemna! :)

joe sackey likes this.
  2. stevewakefield

Jan 30, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve Wakefield
    So what you really need is an updated book with accompanying register on all 762 cars, making it clear how the car was configured when new and why it was changed pre-delivery to Cook. Soon, you might be in luck...

3. miurasv

miurasv Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    So 3198 was never taken back to bare metal when repainted, by the factory, or in subsequent repaints?

pjt1104 likes this.
  4. miurasv

miurasv Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    RM Sotheby's sold P400 #3111 for 715,000 Euros all in. Non matching engine from P400 #01072. See here.

5. joe sackey

joe sackey Three Time F1 World Champ

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thanks for sharing this.

Lamborghini changed the color of a number of Miuras just prior to delivery, so you are in good company!

pjt1104 likes this.
  6. pjt1104

pjt1104 Rookie

Jan 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    philip turner
    no. we could see the blue, the tom cook red and then the "restoration red" that it was painted in by previous owner. will try to see if i can dig a picture out of the colour blue.

miurasv likes this.
  7. pjt1104

pjt1104 Rookie

Jan 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    philip turner
  8. montpellier

montpellier Rookie

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Apart from being in storage for years, what else is know about this one ?

Still amazing that cars and stuff pop up, though having been in Italy for decades know of a few treasure troves (primarily parts/engines)that have never come to light due to the owners desire to play with them until they expire As family members of dear friends you respect their wishes. Though I do have a signed picture from Fangio thanks to them.

I recall as a child my local garage, in a tiny village of 800 people had a fuel station and a workshop. Unassuming in the extreme. When , as a teenager Istarted working there, I found a C Type, D Type and Daytona Spider all under covers. Back in the day they probably had limited value.

9. miurasv

miurasv Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Was the original colour then changed in the factory register?

10. joe sackey

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I don't recall the factory register being always updated, I'd have to check, as you know nothing was ever consistent, but for example, I do recall that the Shah's SVJ 4934 still shows Bleu Ischia in the factory register, but as we all know the car was changed to Rosso Granada at Sant Agata before it was delivered to him.

miurasv likes this.
  11. Thomas Berns

Thomas Berns Rookie

Mar 16, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas B.
  12. miurasv

miurasv Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    EarlyCat likes this.
  13. joe sackey

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Would it be a good idea to put it back to LHD?

NürScud likes this.
  14. miurasv

miurasv Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    That depends on whether it was actually converted to RHD by the Lamborghini Factory, Marchesi or Bertone AND IF there is proof of it with written documentation from the Lamborghini Factory.

joe sackey likes this.
  15. DakotaGT

DakotaGT Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 23, 2019
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota
    Full Name:
    W. C. B.
    Forgive me if this has been asked already, but does anybody know the identity of the ‘67 P400 used in the movie “Marinai in Coperta”?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. mt_jt

mt_jt Formula Junior

May 9, 2012
    Australia
  17. silhouette

silhouette Karting

Dec 13, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It was converted at the factory. Some of the early history is incorrect as recited.

18. miurasv

miurasv Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    May I ask what early history is incorrect and is there any actual documentation that proves that the conversion was done at the Lamborghini factory?

19. silhouette

silhouette Karting

Dec 13, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The part that is incorrect is that it does not record who actually did import the only 2 SV’s that came to Australia at that time before the car was sold to Gerry Kent. His ownership seems accurately recited, That person (original private importer) may still have documents from the factory.
    Otherwise the folders kept within polo storico at the factory including build sheets and other details may well record the conversion.

20. joe sackey

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    You'd want the documentation from Lamborghini since the work is claimed to be done by them, and in fact the switch from LHD to RHD was done at Santa Agata as confirmed to me by some of the people who actually did the work.

The early ownership history is not incorrect in terms of errors AFAIK, it's just incomplete as it relates to history before Gerry Kent.

5036 was completed on the 31st of March, 1972 as a LHD Miura SV for delivery to Italian concessionaire Righetti's client Antonio Spada of Brescia, this based on an original order by Italian concessionaire Interauto (it was not uncommon for one dealer to pass on a concession to another who needed it for supply to a customer). The important point is, the car was built and delivered by Lamborghini to an end-user Italian owner in LHD guise.

Some 9 months later, the Australian Lamborghini importer purchased 5036 and 5002 as used LHD Miura SVs and returned them to the Sant Agata factory for conversion. Upon importation to Australia in early 1973, 5036 was acquired by Dennis O’Neal of Sydney, who then sold it to Peter Opie of Sydney, who retained it for a short while before selling it to Gerry Kent in 1975.

So in fact the private ownership history before Gerry Kent is Antonio Spada > Dennis O'Neal > Peter Opie.

If I was purchasing this SV as a RHD car to keep that way, I'd want factory documentation available with the sale of the car which attests to the fact that Lamborghini themselves made the conversion, as you correctly point out, this may possibly be available via Polo Storico.

21. alberto

alberto Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Speaking of getting information from Polo Storico, what is the procedure to get info on a car? What documentation is needed to get the information (pink slip, bill of sale, pictures of you with the car and a newspaper showing the date, a signed note from your parents?). I understand you have to go in person to obtain access to the information, but cannot take pictures. I assume note taking is ok. Is that correct? If that is the case, how would one go about documenting to anyone else something related to a car that is in their library?

Olivier NAMECHE and Lemacc like this.
  22. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    Giallo Subscribed

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    Correct, you can have a look into the docs and you can make notes but no photos.

Olivier NAMECHE likes this.
  23. alberto

alberto Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thanks for your response. I guess that means that people would just have to take one's word for it as to whatever secrets might be in the archives. I suppose, though, that being able to see them and not be able to document it is better than not being able to see them at all.

Alberto

joe sackey and Lemacc like this.
  24. joe sackey

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    That whole process is silly IMO.

What Polo Storico should do, is extend to the caretakers of the heritage cars of their brand the common courtesy of full transparency.

This is really not that hard, and it doesn't speak well of Lamborghini SpA that this process is a tenuous one where owners are treated with less than appreciation, it perpetuates the nonsense about Lamborghini history being seemingly shrouded in secrecy, it doesn't need to be that way. The idea that you have to jump through hoops of fire or be blessed by the Pope to learn about your car's history is outmoded, time to move on to an era of full disclosure.

The procedure should be very simple and go something like this:

Upon proof of ownership, for a set fee, the owner should receive a scan of everything in the car's file held by the factory.

In the long run, this process is better for the factory and it's PS program, of course better for the owners, and better for the future values of the cars.

It's what I refer to in business as a win-win-win.

25. alberto

alberto Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I agree. However, I don’t know if any car manufacturer does this. I’ve never tried to get docs from Ferrari, for example, but I’d be surprised if I was met with anything other than “Mi dispiace, ma non è possibile”. Which is I suspect is why people turn to Masini, you or other historians or just the internet for some specs of knowledge about their vintage cars.

Olivier NAMECHE likes this.