Miura, the original supercar | Page 718 | LamborghiniChat
News

Miura, the original supercar

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Supercars' started by joe sackey, Dec 5, 2006.

1. miurasv

miurasv Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #17926 miurasv, Jul 11, 2019 at 7:11 AM
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019 at 7:26 AM
    Wow! What is the chassis number of that SV?

2. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Thank you for the kind words Joe! Slight Miura fan... hahaha.

Yes, my father purchased chassis 5024 new from the New York Auto Show displayed by Modena Racing. He still has the car today. Interior and mechanicals are all stunningly preserved and original with low mileage. One concours quality paint completed over the period of 10 years.

3. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Yes, we are currently offering Chassis 3066. It was sold by RM Sothebys at Monterey in 2012. I was able to dig up a lot of great information about Chassis 3066 from some old FerrariChat posts by Joe Sackey and others. Very early car that was delivered new in Verde. Great ownership history and restored in the 2000s by Bob Wallace and others.

According to old records and what we can gather, Bob Wallace upgraded the mechanicals to SV specification, this included a split sump/dry sump system. In addition, the chassis, suspension, interior and body work have been converted to SV specification. Good amount of details were even upgraded, including the door panels, center console, hood latch and the rocker switches.

When we originally purchased the car, we were pretty confident we would be restoring the front and rear bonnet to original P400 specification, but we honestly got so much interest in purchasing the car in its current configuration we decided to accept offers AS-IS.

While there is definitely a strong market for well documented restored P400 cars, it looks like there may be a good market for cars converted to SV specification. All this being said, I believe this car represents a great value for our asking price.

4. miurasv

miurasv Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson

Must be fantastic to have owned a Miura SV from new and for 47 years. Please post some pictures of it. The only couple I could find were when the car must have been nearly new.

5. joe sackey

joe sackey Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Didn't Bobby dry-sump this one's engine as well as the SV upgrades?

His dad is restoring it, he's a perfectionist but it's nearly finished, any minute now ;):D

6. miurasv

miurasv Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Shouldn't stop him posting some more recent pics.

7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    The question is, will John's dad let him take recent pictures!

Lemacc likes this.
  8. miurasv

miurasv Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Why not? It's a 1 owner Miura SV ..S!!!, and needs to be seen.

joe sackey likes this.
  9. Olivier NAMECHE

Olivier NAMECHE F1 Rookie

Aug 18, 2007
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Olivier

Back in 2015 when I interviewed the old man… Marchesi, I already asked that question and his answer clarified it :

* SV was too flexible on front according to Bob Wallace who requested to have a small modification, some early SV got that modification without hole

* no hole = more strenght

* when Bob Wallace validated it was OK for him, the rest of the SV production was made without hole

So regarding the original VIN plate welded on top of the frame for whole Miura production… Marchessi changed his system and was pressing the VIN on the horizontal flat plane before welding the plane to the rest of the frame front section.

As you can see in my pic, he made that plane in front of me, stamped the VIN and then presented it…

Image Unavailable, Please Login

miurasv and joe sackey like this.
  10. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Olivier

Coincidentally at the same time and without any communication between Polo Storico and me regarding the restoration with same color, Miura S #4419 was also restored in Belgium back to its original color Azzuro Mexico, one of the 6x Miura painted in that color…

2019, they are 2x Miura S back in their original special color…

Here #4419 just after the Polo Storico inspection for the Classiche Certification, sitting next to my Formula One Larousse 1989 - V12 Lamborghini powered...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

mt_jt, Ciro Izzo and joe sackey like this.
  11. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Congrats on both

Olivier NAMECHE likes this.
  12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thank you for sharing this, very cool.

Olivier NAMECHE likes this.
  13. miurasv

miurasv Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    How is that plate joined to the rest of the chassis? Welded in? What was the reason for the new plate in that instance?

14. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Yes, all plate are welded all together, a square if you take from one angle, or a long rectangle as your angle is

This instance was the rebuilt of full new front section of a poor Miura ressurected since...

miurasv likes this.
  15. miurasv

miurasv Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Thank you for your reply and the information, Olivier. Was the Miura being resurrected an SV?

16. Lel

Lel Karting

Oct 11, 2007

17. Lel

Lel Karting

Oct 11, 2007
    Olivier, I don't agree with you, Making "flared" hole in sheet metal give more strength. So I think there must have been another reason for the "unholed" metal.

My best
    L-E

vfinaldi likes this.
  18. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Olivier

I just reported the "words" of Mr Marchesi

and I'm Always open to listen to any other reason

19. sp1der

sp1der Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    I would suspect time and therefore cost to construct the parts, as my assumption would be that all the holes were done by hand = a fair while to manufacture = cost

vfinaldi likes this.
  20. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    saving time on a single flat lane… avoiding to press the button of a mechanical press making the hole… I'm not convinced

may be the Reason is completely different…

My 2 cents, why not thinking of the fact it is easy to remove the welded VIN plate and to replace it by another VIN plate (+ the riveted aluminium plate), may be in these early years robbery was more present than nowadays ??? so pressing the VIN directly to the frame was may be a way to discourage the thieves ?

21. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Karting
    Giallo Subscribed

Aug 28, 2015
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Vince Finaldi
    I doubt it. Lamborghini didn’t care about that at the time-it certainly was not a big enough issue to warrant a change. And, holes were deleted elsewhere as well remember, so this would not explain those deletions. I think the reason is very simple. The re-design staff thought deleting the holes would make the frame stiffer (regardless of whether it actually stiffened the frame or not). Stiffening the frame was their priority. As evidenced by the extended supports below the windshield.

joe sackey likes this.
  22. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    which is Marchesi "s explanation...