Miura, the original supercar | Page 716 | LamborghiniChat
News

Miura, the original supercar

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Supercars' started by joe sackey, Dec 5, 2006.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    A nice selection, just one SV and half-a-dozen earlier cars.

2. Robert W

Robert W Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2005
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Westall
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

In fact the car we are missing is the orange one nearest to the camera - it has distinctive orange mirrors and is RHD but I can’t find a rear pic.

3. Robert W

Robert W Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2005
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Westall
    I’m going to answer my own question. I reckon this is Miura S RHD #3949 ELL277J. You can just see the unusual rear number plate and the “S” in the photo below and the orange wing mirrors confirm it I think?

Second pic is from the same event in a previous year:

Attached Files:

4. Lel

Lel Karting

Oct 11, 2007
  5. bb4635

bb4635 Formula Junior

May 18, 2006
    France
    View attachment 2656403 View attachment 2656404
    Yes, you're right Robert, it's Miura #3949.

Here without hood mirrors, but with its stickers on the windshield, and especially with its unique front bonnet nose shape ...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Karting

Aug 28, 2015
    Southern California
    Unique is right. The front end is not correct at all. Should come to a slight point at the center and the side openings of the “mouth” are too tall.

7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Caption this one: Beauties in the Garden.

Agreed, I think some trauma occurred once-upon-a-time.

8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  9. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Karting

Aug 28, 2015
    Southern California
    Inching closer to completion of the metalwork on 3378 at Cairati. It takes considerable time and effort to get the panel and trim fit correct. Pre-mounting of all parts during this process, on a proper frame table that facilitates accurate measurement, is critical. Also, plenty of room in the shop, with natural light, so one can view the car from all angles and distances, unobstructed, is very important as well. Still tracking to have the body “in white” by mid-July!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ciro Izzo, joe sackey, bb4635 and 2 others like this.
  10. bb4635

bb4635 Formula Junior

May 18, 2006
    France
    Hi Joe,
    I've personally noted two genuine SV attending this London event, not just one... Both RHD, both split-sump.

joe sackey likes this.
  11. Robert W

Robert W Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2005
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Westall
    Which is the second one alongside the line green car?

12. bb4635

bb4635 Formula Junior

May 18, 2006
    France
    In addition to the lime green RHD SV #4812, there was another SV in London, also RHD and genuine SV : it is the orange Miura #4527. Yes, chassis number formerly used initially on a P400S : prod.#504, but here later re-used for another complete new car : a Miura SV prod.#698, delivered new in may 1972 as a brand new RHD, split-sump SV.

13. miurasv

miurasv Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson

But does it have an SV chassis?????

14. bb4635

bb4635 Formula Junior

May 18, 2006
    France
    Yes, for sure ! Genuine full SV specs, Bertone Miura BIW prod. #698, but re-using the chassis name #4527. Chassis number initially used a first time two years before on a Bertone P400S Miura BIW #504.

15. miurasv

miurasv Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I would only believe the chassis was SV if Marchesi confirmed it.

16. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Karting

Aug 28, 2015
    Southern California
    It can easily be confirmed by anyone who looks at it. The rear suspension mounting points would be different, as would the front braces and the holes in the frame, etc.

17. miurasv

miurasv Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    OK, thanks. I've noticed that many SV chassis do not have holes in the beam parallel with the water radiator in between where the spare wheel is, but not all of them, as some have the holes. Can you explain this?

vfinaldi likes this.
  18. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Karting

Aug 28, 2015
    Southern California
    No SV's should have holes in the cross-member between the front shock towers. If it's a true SV and the cross-member has holes, it's been replaced. Some people may replace them because the original was damaged and they couldn't find an SV replacement. Or, it may have been replaced because the owner liked the perforated one better. Is that the beam you are talking about? Or are you talking about the radiator support beam one where the chassis plate is?

miurasv likes this.
  19. miurasv

miurasv Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #17894 miurasv, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    This is the beam I am talking about. I have seen SVs with holes in this beam but the majority do not have them.

I stole this snip pic of SV 5106 from www.miuraregister.com.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

vfinaldi likes this.
  20. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Karting

Aug 28, 2015
    Southern California
    Yes, I know what you are talking about now, and I have seen and questioned this as well. All SV's (and all Miura's, in fact) have holes in the vertical plane of this front cross member. But most SV's do not have holes in the horizontal (flat) plane of this cross member. Perhaps someone with more knowledge about this design aspect of SV's can comment on the reason why that is. I would speculate that if it were an original SV with such holes, perhaps it is an early version before the design modification of deleting the holes was implemented. Thus, the early SV's may have holes while the later ones may not. Or, if they are not supposed to have holes, then this would be a sign that the frame was repaired (grafted from a non-SV frame member) or that the car was a non-SV that received SV upgrades. Perhaps Joe can provide some enlightenment on this point? o_O

miurasv likes this.
  21. miurasv

miurasv Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    ....and I have also seen SVs with the beam in between the shock towers with holes but I would guess this is easy to replace???

22. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Karting

Aug 28, 2015
    Southern California
    Yes, that beam is simple to replace. Just remove one front wheel, remove the bolts, disconnect the shocks and it slides right out.

joe sackey and miurasv like this.
  23. miurasv

miurasv Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #17899 joe sackey, Jun 12, 2019 at 12:08 AM
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 12:52 AM
    Thank you.

Hard to say without knowing the circumstances of the individual car, Miuras had production variations & anomalies, and these members could be replaced by the wrong part post-accident.

25. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula Junior
    Giallo Subscribed

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    Please note also the beam between the front shocks too. #4932 no holes, #4818 with holes. But as Joe stated, difficult to say anything without knowing the circumstances from each specific car. I have to check my files, maybe there are some production photos of the Miura SV frames.