Miura, the original supercar | Page 714 | LamborghiniChat
News

Miura, the original supercar

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Supercars' started by joe sackey, Dec 5, 2006.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Very true ;)

Bravo Eric, I always thought your research was a fantastic effort, all-too-often people in the Lamborghini and car community tend to underestimate the amount of work that is actually done in terms of research, and almost always you never receive any thanks for sharing the results.

Thank you, again.

This makes my heart sing.

eb911, Olivier NAMECHE and vfinaldi like this.
  2. Astonish78

Astonish78 Rookie

Sep 11, 2014
    Dear Mr. Finaldi,

may I ask you which method was used to remove the body paint ?

Best regards

Zdenek :)

vfinaldi likes this.
  3. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Karting

Aug 28, 2015
    Southern California
    Absolutely. It is a water blasting process that removes paint and primer, but does not create heat and thus cause distortion and warping as occurs with media blasting (even with walnut shells), or corrosion issues that can occur with soda blasting. Very effective particularly on the delicate aluminum bonnets.

Ciro Izzo and joe sackey like this.
  4. Astonish78

Astonish78 Rookie

Sep 11, 2014
    Thank you very much

I was very interested which procedure a specialized company like Cairati prefers.

:)

vfinaldi likes this.
  5. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Karting

Aug 28, 2015
    Southern California
    No problem. In fact, most of the well known high-end restoration shops in Northern Italy use this method, particularly because they specialize in aluminum body restorations...

6. miurasv

miurasv Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson

Do you know if the engine is now with a split sump or not?

7. miurasv

miurasv Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I've often wondered about the box section Miura chassis with open holes that allow water in. I've asked about it in this thread a few years ago. Are you saying that the chassis internally had no protection or paint to prevent against rust? I remember my late father in 1976 stripping the chassis, front, back, underneath and in the stripped cabin on his SV of paint and treating it with some kind of rust remover, painting it with red oxide and other steel preservatives and then painting over that. What stands out is that he also treated the chassis internally inside the holes and treated/painted as above.

Although the cataphoresis treatment you describe above may remove all the corrosion/rust how is strength built back in the chassis internally where the corrosion is impossible to see, access and remedy?

8. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Karting

Aug 28, 2015
    Southern California
    No protective paint or coating was applied inside the boxed sections originally other than oil that was applied to the metal. Just the areas that could be painted after complete were primered.

As to cataphoresis, if an area is damaged by rust-anything more than mere surface rust-it would need to be remediated. On my car, this was not an issue in the boxed sections. We were able to check with small cameras.

miurasv likes this.
  9. miurasv

miurasv Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Thank you for your reply. Now that you have said you used small cameras, it's jogged my memory a bit, and I think I remember him using small mirrors to check the chassis internally.

vfinaldi likes this.
  10. Olivier NAMECHE

Olivier NAMECHE F1 Rookie

Aug 18, 2007
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Olivier

I have no idea, engine block exchange happened under Ferretti ownership, between 12/10/2005 up to 2013 when Eric acquired it for a Customer of his as he mentioned in his previous post.

Among all I have discovered over the years, and specifically in the hand notes of its production file, it was fitted with new development parts Inside gearbox, but without a description.

Don't ask me if I have a copy, factory rules forbide you to make pic or copy.

miurasv likes this.
  11. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula Junior
    Giallo Subscribed

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany

With cataphoresis treatment it is very important that there are enough drain holes in the cavities to allow the chemicals used for cleaning to drain completely. Otherwise it would be possible for residues to settle in the cavities and rust to form. Water blasting for alloy panels is very common, many other body shops in Italy use this method too.

vfinaldi likes this.
  12. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Karting

Aug 28, 2015
    Southern California
    Agreed. Miura chassis lend themselves particularly well to this treatment due to the plethora of perforations throughout the design. I spent a lot of time researching this issue and I must admit, I was very pleased with the result. The body metalwork fine tuning (planishing, pick and file, etc.) should be done by July so I will be sure to post some updates!

Lemacc and joe sackey like this.
  13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  14. miurasv

miurasv Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #17839 miurasv, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
    #3586.

Possibly the new development parts were for conversion of the gearbox to use separate oil? Perhaps Eric eb911 knows if the new cylinder block/gearbox is split sump?

15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Surely it's a given that the replacement block if deemed to be a late SV unit would have the sump split?

16. miurasv

miurasv Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #17841 miurasv, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
    That was my immediate thought if it is actually a late SV block, but I have learned never take anything as a given.

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Yes, agreed!

18. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Olivier

Displayed at Essen 2019 TCE, VIN #3447 , engine #1857, 174th Miura made, original color scheme : "Argento Indianapolis metallizzato" // nero

It was delivered to Voitures Paris Monceau - VPM the 18/04/1968

Original color scheme would have been more interesting to see after the restoration…

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. bb4635

bb4635 Formula Junior

May 18, 2006
    France
    These pictures of Miura #3447 have been taken during Retromobile 2019 last february in Paris on Kienle Automobiltechnik GMBH stand.

Olivier NAMECHE and joe sackey like this.
  20. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    you are right Bruno, mixing my pics order record name

bb4635 likes this.
  21. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Olivier
  22. montpellier

montpellier Rookie

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Returning to an old subject.... Verde Miura . User Diablo had many messages regarding the correct colour code for a P400 verde colour. The guys in Italy have come back with a darker green than the imagined (and widely used) more lime green version of verde Miura. Is. there anyone who has done an analysis of an unrestored car ? This was the sample Diablo posted and later claimed neither were correct .

Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Which Carrozzeria supplied these samples?

24. montpellier

montpellier Rookie

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Joe, they were taken from a post by Diablo a few years ago. He did comment later on that none of them proved correct, even though he had been told they were.

Verde Chiaro was the Miura verde so a modern version of ppg 2.465.070

25. d1ablo

d1ablo Rookie

Jul 7, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Paul
    50 shades of green...

Indeed a lot of research performed and eventually I relied on a measurement on a '67 Miura(inside door panel) that matched a paint recipe from a second source.

Information received from factory was incorrect... Information received from several restoration companies was equally incorrect... in the process I was surprised to learn that some major restorations simply chose a color code that was somewhat close to expectations or even far off..

On the other hand we have to conclude that paint mixing was not an exact science in those days and color fluctuations also occured "by nature".
    Attached some more sample sheets that all claim to be Verde Miura..