Countach - Detailing a Lamborghini Countach 5000 QV [1986] | LamborghiniChat
News

Countach Detailing a Lamborghini Countach 5000 QV [1986]

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Supercars' started by Aficior, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Aficior

Aficior Rookie

May 30, 2019
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Robert-Jan de Ridder
    Dear Forum,

I have the honor (as a car detailer from The Netherlands) to work on a Lamborghini Countach 5000 QV off a dear friend of mine. My part will be to insanely detail the car to the best I can and to the best condition the car can give me. Yes, the car and me are working together on this project.

I will do my best to update this forum as I progress. I do not have a set-delivery-date, but I will work on this car as often as I have the time.

[​IMG]

At the moment a car mechanic has disassembled the exhaust of this 12 cylinder beuaty.

This weekend I have powder blasted the parts of the exhaust which were disassembled. The manifolds are still connected to the engine, because I understood these can only be disassembled when the engine is completely taken out of the car. So the manifolds maybe will be blasted in the future. Who knows.

Now I have cleaned the exhaust from dark brown rust to bare metal.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can now leave it like this, but I am sure that within some amount of time the exhaust will start rusting again. (My friend the owner loves to drive his dream car). Better would be perhaps, to protect the exhaust with Very High Temperature spray-paint in the original color.

QUESTION.
    Does anyone know what the original color of the exhaust was in 1986 of this European car when it came straight from the factory?

Sincere,
    Aficior

2. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula Junior

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Look forward to following this thread with interest. My QV came from The Netherlands too. :D

You can paint as you have mentioned. But why not get it ceramic coated in black?

Others with far more knowledge than I will be here soon to advise you of the paint finish.

Cheers
    Rob

EMILIO likes this.
  3. joe sackey

joe sackey Three Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Satin black.

4. Aficior

Aficior Rookie

May 30, 2019
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Robert-Jan de Ridder
    Dear Lamborghini forum members,

Thank you very much for all your enthusiastic reactions and likes. I will keep this thread updated in the future.

Also thank you very much @joe sackey for sharing your knowledge about the original color of the exhaust. Now I can go further with the exhaust.

As I am from The Netherlands, I also shared this subject on a Dutch detailing forum. For those of you who can read Dutch, the link to that subject is:
    https://forum.carclean.com/threads/full-detail-lamborghini-countach-5000-qv-1986-dtld-by-aficior.22667/#post-406263

Until next time,
    Aficior

5. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 Formula Junior

May 14, 2017
    Would love more updates on this project, as well as many general photos of the interior and exterior.

6. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula Junior

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I took a look at his forum web link and viewed it using Google Chrome, which translates the language for us non-Dutch speakers :)

7. Marcello

Marcello Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marcel Wallenburg
    Dear Robert-Jan, I keep track of all Dutch Lamborghini's since the early 1980's, and I know most of the Countachs as well. Unfortunately, many have left our little country the last few years. I was wondering wich car this is you are workin on. Is it amongst the Dutch Countach's here? link: https://www.lamborghini-register.nl/lamborghini/home/v12/countach/5000-qv Ciao! Marcel

8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I believe this is Countach Downdraft FLA12874 owned now by Percy T.

9. Aficior

Aficior Rookie

May 30, 2019
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Robert-Jan de Ridder
    Dear forum,

Apologies that I have kept you waiting. The past period I have worked very hard on the Countach in addition to my regular job, so I did not get to writing this report. But a promise is a promise, so here we go.

The car is now ready, but I will take you through all the steps I have taken to take care of this beautiful car.

I paused this story with the exhausts. As I reported earlier, they have been derusted and blasted. After that I sanded and degreased the exhausts at some point. Unfortunately I did not take photos of the spraying process, but I spray-painted the exhausts in three steps (layers) with aerosols.

I have treated the exhaust with the products below. This paint should protect to almost 1100 degrees Celsius (2000 degrees Fahrenheit) after proper after-paint treatment.

[​IMG]

From right to left (yes, not thinking when I took the photo) Primer, Satin Black color lacquer and Satin Clear coat.

The chrome parts I protected with Colad green tape and some plastic from a plastic bag.
    First I sprayed all the exhaust parts in Primer. After that, I painted all the parts in Satin Black and after that also had dried, I finished with the satin clear lacquer. Between the paint-jobs I let the paint dry for about twenty minutes. I did NOT sand the parts in-between the paint jobs. When I had finished this, I left the exhaust to dry out for 48 hours.

I applied the next coat every twenty minutes because I hoped that the solvents in the paint would cause the next coat to stick IN the previous coat. This ensures a homogeneous thick layer of paint. (At least that's the idea).

After air drying it looked like below. The exhausts have been neatly lying on the floor in my living room for 48 hours. Apparently my wife and children no longer find that strange, because nobody said anything about it. Just the question of how long it should stay here.

[​IMG]

A few days later the parts were brought back to the garage where the Countach also was located.

I am a manual man and always read the instructions of a manufacturer. The paint supplier recommends heating the painted parts according to a specific schedule.

Paint must be completely dry before curing.
    Heat to 250 ° F (121 ° C) for 30 minutes
    Cool for 30 minutes
    Heat to 400 ° F (204 ° C) for 30 minutes
    Cool for 30 minutes
    Heat to 650 ° F (343 ° C) for 30 minutes

The large part of the exhaust did not fit in the oven. That is why all parts are heated by hand. I placed an adjustable hot air hair dryer from Wurth in each separate exhaust part. Each time with the infrared thermometer I measured how it progressed. The thirty minutes heating period did not start until the exhaust had reached the desired temperature.

In the picture below you can see how I put the industrial hot air paintdryer in the exhaust on the left and let it blow warm air into the exhaust.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heating caused the paint on the exhaust to become a little soft and the paint started to smoke and stink. For a moment I had the idea that the paint would come off, but the supplier of the paint was right with his ritual. Every time after heating and cooling I saw the paint harden. When it cooled down I could feel it too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The loose pipes were easy to heat from the inside. However, with the muffler part of the exhaust is a lot more difficult. Therefore, the damper section was carefully heated from the outside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you probably already suspected, this part was a lot harder to heat. I have been busy with this for a while, but luckily I was able to do that while sitting. The exhaust lay on a stainless steel work table.

[​IMG]

I ended up here. All parts of the exhaust are baked, which will keep the paint much better. I think it worked, because the paint felt much harder at the end of this process.

Until next time,
    Aficior

Tu160bomber and EarlyCat like this.
  10. Aficior

Aficior Rookie

May 30, 2019
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Robert-Jan de Ridder
    #10 Aficior, Jun 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    Dear Forum,

So I ended with the exhausts. Shortly after I finished my work, the car had to be transported to a garage for a special adjustment job to be adjusted. For this it was of course necessary that the exhausts were also mounted, so that this party could adjust the car as well as possible. No worries. In fact, I was actually happy about it, because the car made the necessary test kilometers and when the car came back, I immediately inspected the exhaust. To my great joy I have been able to conclude that the painting process and then - say - baking the paint on the exhaust has been successful. All paint is still on it and it is not damaged. I am really satisfied !!

Then agreed with the owner that I would start with my detail work from that moment on. That meant to him that he would NOT have access to his beloved Countach for the time being. He could of course admire his car. After all, it's his car.

To begin with, I thoroughly washed the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I started with the wheels and tires. You always start with these most dirty parts, so that any splashing dirt is removed from the paint during the next phase with the help of the foam.

Then, as I always do, I wash the car twice in a row. Both times I use a lot of foam from the foam lance. Of course I was the car with microfiber wash gloves and based on the two-bucket system. In this case I also used my Underbody lance to make everything on the underside of the car as clean as possible. I dry the car with a special automotive hot air blower that blows warm air over the car at three hundred kilometres per hour. With the help of this device you get all the moisture from all the crazy places of the car.

[​IMG]

I didn't use that Underbody lance for nothing. I had already seen during my inspection of the car that there was a lot of gravel tucked away in all kinds of places. I got that out now with that lance.

[​IMG]

Then we put the car on the bridge and disassembled the wheels. Due to the model of rims, when these wheels are mounted on the car, it is almost impossible to clean them on the inside. I was looking forward to tackling those wheels.

Initially, some people thought that the wheels on the inside should be black.

[​IMG]

But after very often, long and especially very patient cleaning, it turned out to be completely untrue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The gray spray bottle above with the gold sprayer contains diluted Poorboys World Spray and Rinse Wheel Cleaner. The green bottle is Great-Lion Rim Cleaner acid-free. With this combination I worked layer by layer through the dirt, until I could no longer clean the rims with these agents.

Then put the rims on a table and continued using turpentine and thinner. I also first tried to tackle the remaining pollution with tar remover, but that did nothing at all. I don't know what those black spots were, but they were gone with turpentine and thinner. (Ventilate well).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The corners in the back of the rim were very difficult and laborious to clean. It is not easy to reach and as you can see there are many corners and raised edges. This makes cleaning very laborious. In those annoyingly laborious places I really enjoyed my Autoglym Hi-Tech Wheel Brush. That brush is really great and worth money twice over.

In the photo above are the front rims. The rear rims were a lot deeper (wider tires) and the pollution was even more persistent there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the end I was very satisfied with the result. I think the wheels have never been so clean and I was really pleased with the result.

Time to tackle the other side of the wheels. These were a lot less dirty, of course, because they are easy to clean. Nevertheless, a thorough inspection showed that it had quite some contamination that I could not have removed with the chemical cleaners. So there had to be polished there. Incidentally, there is a twisted effect in those rims. Based on that, I chose to polish the wheels by hand and do this with the thread.

[​IMG]

Hey, what do I see there ??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Someone had written on the rims in the past with a red marker in the past (RR). Fortunately I got it all done with some original handicraft.

[​IMG]

Below you can see again that the rims are made on a lathe (???). You see those round lines. That's why I polished WITH those lines.

[​IMG]

Then also the inside of the wheels polished.

[​IMG]

All in all, I spent almost two days on those rims. All this to prepare them for a coating with Gyeon Q² Rim, but more on that later.

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading and until next time,
    Aficior

11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #11 joe sackey, Jun 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    BRAVO! Fantastic to see the care these cars are receiving in recent times, thanks for sharing all the images and information.

Tu160bomber likes this.
  12. ttforcefed

ttforcefed Formula Junior
    Giallo Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    wow this is 100 percent awesome!

Tu160bomber likes this.