Countach Tires - does anyone care | Page 17 | LamborghiniChat
News

Countach Tires - does anyone care

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Supercars' started by Longstone Tyres, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Downdraft1

Downdraft1 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2008
    The cherry on top was that it was the very last step of my rolling resto which started about 2 years ago, brake calipers, master cylinder, repaint of fender flairs, side sills and disassembly cleaning interior, new door gaskets, installation of original Alpine radio, professional polishing of paint, etc. etc. most of the artisans involved in this process are shops which work regularly also for Polo Storico. Will share pics soon.

2. Ellagirl

Ellagirl Formula 3

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    I like the word Rolling Resto, sounds very functional,also probably what will happen to my car at some point,its to nice for a complete tear down,but needs some attention here and there.

3. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Karting
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi Team

just looking at our web page, where we have te list of models and their fitment but what occured to me, to make it more factual, would be to add the recomended tyre pressures on there for each individual model.

If you guys could help out with tyre pressures i'll put them on there.

Any pictures or detail about tyres and pressures that i could put on there will hopefully make that page an Countach tyre oracle.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/lamborghini/countach.html

LP400 1974 - 1978 - 205/70 VR 14 215/70 VR 14 MICHELIN XWX
    LP400S S1 1978 - 1979 - 205/50 R 15 345/35 R 15 PIRELLI P7
    LP400S S2 1979 - 1981 - 205/50 ZR 15 345/35 ZR 15 PIRELLI P7
    LP400S S3 1981 - 1982 - 205/50 ZR 15 345/35 ZR 15 PIRELLI P7
    LP5000S 1982 - 1985 - 205/50 ZR 15 345/35 ZR 15 PIRELLI P7
    5000 QV 1985 - 1988 - 225/50 ZR 15 345/35 ZR 15 PIRELLI P7R
    25th Anniversary 1988 - 1990 - 225/50 ZR 15 345/35 ZR 15 PIRELLI P-ZERO

4. joe sackey

joe sackey Three Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    QV factory stated tire pressure for normal use is 37 psi (2.6 bar) fronts, 40 psi (2.8) rears

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  5. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Karting
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  6. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Not for the Countach.

7. rhyno

rhyno Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2006
    Does anybody know where I can find a set of P7 Corsa tires for a Silhouette? The attached picture is from my owners manual and should be the correct size I need.
    I have a set on my car but they are the wrong size, old and have very bad flat spots!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Karting
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi

I'm not sure you really want the P7 Corsa. that is a pretty extreme tarmac rally tyre. so it will have a compound that is not designed to age.

Also sadly we received an email from Pirelli recently that the 285/40R15 P7 Corsa was discontinued. This is our web page that lists that range https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-collezione/p7-corsa-classic.html

However i do have some very good news for you. Pirelli do make a 285/40R15 Cinturato P7 road tyre https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/285-40vr15-pirelli-cinturato-p7.html which will work much better as a road tyre.

They don't however make the 195/50R15 P7, but the 205/50 might work https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/5878/category/7121

the 285/40R15 also fits the back of some 911 Porsche, and crazily it fits the front of a De Tomato Pantooney. That is a pretty wild tyre to have on the front of a car.

Anyway the good news is the P7 road tyres are on the shelf and a very sensible price https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-collezione/cinturato-p7.html

Spyder-Man and joe sackey like this.
  9. rhyno

rhyno Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2006

Thanks for the great info! We will be in touch.

10. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Karting
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Just a little heads up to Countach owners.

the price of the P7 is going to go up in the next few weeks

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/lamborghini/countach.html

or here in the States https://www.lucasclassictires.com/345-35VR15-PIRELLI-CINTURATO-P7-3453515P.htm

there are other international dealers listed here http://cinturato.net/ You also get to watch some of the most epic advertising i have seen from the 1960s with an e type jaguar. you would not have an advert produced today featuring a truck driver guzzling from a magnum of red wine while driving a lorry these days in an advert.

i apologise for the price hike. It cannot be helped. I have to be honest and admit i can't believe i managed to get them so cheap in the first place, when you look at the price of the P-Zero alternative. (I must admit, you will be able to get the P-Zero cheaper than we list it on our site.)

joe sackey likes this.
  11. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    How much of an increase? $569 for 345 to what?

12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    So we've had the new P7 for almost 2 years at the current rate, that's not bad.

13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #414 joe sackey, Feb 29, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Peter K. and Spyder-Man like this.
  18. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Karting
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    I think that is possibly as much because the P7 is currently about 25% cheaper.

Please head my encouragement to do your shopping now before the prices go up.

What do i care? I'm on a percentage, so a percentage of a bigger number is better for me right? However, Its not about the fast buck to me. I like a happy customer, because they tell their mates. So i would encourage you guys to tell your mates.

19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #419 joe sackey, Mar 5, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    Dougal, at this point the success of the new Pirelli Cinturato P7 is established, they drive fantastic and offer great handling, as the lap time Harry's car posted on the Grand Tour underscores, I can't recall ever being in any Countach over the past 30-plus years where I felt as confident about the handling.

Accordingly I am certain the new P7 is the safest tire on which you can drive a Countach.

The point is if you have a pre-25th Anniversary Countach and you are not using the new P7 your Countach is not handling as it can and you are missing out on the best experience.

I mean who owns a sports car worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and doesn't put the best tire that's readily available on it? Rhetorical question.

Unlike you I am not on any percentage, I make zip from promoting the new P7, and ultimately I don't really care what most people do with their cars as it's beyond my scope of influence, that said, I know the P7 is a Godsend for the Countach and is an amazing tire, so singing it's praises comes naturally to me and is something I will always do. I know half-a-dozen who have listened, that's plenty, I'm sure more will get the P7 over time.

Ciro Izzo and Spyder-Man like this.
  20. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 Formula Junior

May 14, 2017
    My brand new set is ready for installation on my 85 downdraft at the completion of its restoration.

Ciro Izzo, Spyder-Man and joe sackey like this.
  21. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Karting
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Cheers Joe

That is a big releif. Not just because i had to make a massive investment to get this to happen. I had to comit to buy a large volume of tyres. My relationship with Pirelli was also at stake. If these tyres had not sold, i would have looked like a right numpty! from my commercial position i had quite a lot at stake.

However, the real crux of the matter is that; for me to encourage someone to buy a tyre over another one (regardless of price) I have to be confident that they are genuinely more suited to their car (It isn't just as simple as "better". it is, what suits what car). What has happened on this forum, and with the Countach fraternity, it seems we have done the right thing. Everyone is happy. That gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. (Different to the financial business side of things. If they didn't sell i would have found myself sitting bolt upright in the middle of the night, having nightmares about my bank manager kicking down my front door.)

I like a happy customer. well done Pirelli for getting the tyre right. And well done, to Joe for pushing so hard. i must admit, there were times when i did have my doubts. And thank you guys for buying the tyres.

Ciro Izzo and joe sackey like this.
  22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thanks Dougal, this thread tells a story, we absolutely did the right thing, somehow I was confident your investment would be viable, and I feel like many more Countach owners will go to the P7s in future too.

23. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    #423 Peter K., Mar 26, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Thank you Dougal, they look amazing and a vintage tire with a modern compound is simply a Godsend. I was very hesitant at first about this years ago but I became a believe soon after the thread was started.
    I am proud and glad you made it happen for us.

Especially my car since it was the first Countach to roll off the line with P-7s in '78 (aside from the Wolf and test cars)