Countach, the ultimate supercar | Page 1054 | LamborghiniChat
News

Countach, the ultimate supercar

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Supercars' started by joe sackey, Aug 21, 2007.

1. GTAV6

GTAV6 Karting

Aug 10, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Jono
    Thanks Joe.

2. joe sackey

joe sackey Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Understood, but some people prefer Lamborghini to Chevy, some prefer Lake Como to the Atlantic Ocean, some prefer cruising around to performance boating, Apples to Oranges, different applications, each to their own.

Ellagirl likes this.
  3. EarlyCat

EarlyCat Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 9, 2005
    Shot gun shack in another part of the world
    Full Name:
    Marty Bryde
    I really enjoy the different power plants that people use. Yeah, the BBC is a great boat engine. I'll tell you a funny story. Years ago I found a jet boat with a V drive powered by a 440 Mopar. I was pretty sure I was going to buy it, so I arranged to take it out on the river. The owner, myself & two friends came along. I ended up sitting in the back, (it was around 18' long), where my elbow was sitting basically on the bell housing. The owner idled it out into the clear water & then mashed the pedal (had a gas pedal like a car). The boat instantly planed out. It was quick. It ran about 100 yards & then went nose first into the water. The owner turned around and, without saying a word, dove off the boat...disappearing. We were puzzled. Then he popped up behind the transom & started yelling for us to remove the tunnel cover (a V drive boat has a driveshaft that runs off of the engine to a transfer case near the driver & then back to the prop). The coupling had broke. The prop shaft hit the rudder & now the boat was taking on water. We managed to "fish" the shaft back into place & stop the leak, but it was broke. Another boat kindly towed us back.

joe sackey likes this.
  4. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Fully agree, but consider also the time this was done. There is also a reason why Lamborghini began to dedicatly build offshore race engine with proofed with several Worldchampionship their strength.

joe sackey and Ciro Izzo like this.
  5. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Patrick Mimran spoke with pride about encouraging the Motor Marini program which resulted in Lamborghini winning the only World Championship to it's name.

Meanwhile, I make no apologies for saying that I am not a boat person at all, however if anyone in my family talks me into getting one, whatever it is, it'll have a Lamborghini engine.

@ 20 years ago I was fortunate to witness a World Championship Offshore Class 1 race staged at Nassau in the Bahamas, the sound of the Lamborghini-engined boats as they went by was spine-tingling

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ciro Izzo likes this.
  6. Ellagirl

Ellagirl Formula 3

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Thanks for posting, Yes interesting indeed, i have been around these motors, My Friend Steve Curtis raced them for many years,still do.probably won most of their trophys, They where originally developed for Desert attack vehicles,the program failed,then they ended up in boats,Great race engines,one race at the time,once Lamborghini scrapped the project,the Arab teams took over and re developed a ton uf stuff,not shure whats left of the original engine,at this point, they are still beenig raced today,,(nothing to do with the Countach engine,completly different much bigger castings). Also a few made it inn to recreational boating market,but to complicated and underpowered in comparison to big supercharged Chevy based engines, (Mercury did a short marketing joint venture with Lamborghini mid 80s,but pulled out due to unreliability,also their own 575hp v8 had more power than the 630 hp Lambo in the real world,in the boat)fun stuff, sexy motors,just not for boating ,as we know it,in the US, also our (US)racing allowed supercharged v8 in the big class( rules changed all the time) wich gave a huge advantage to the American V8,

Tu160bomber and EarlyCat like this.
  7. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Karting
    Giallo Subscribed

Aug 28, 2015
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Vince Finaldi
    This is a really interesting and cool element of Lamborghini history, in my opinion. Was the desert engine the same as derived for the LM002, or for another project? Thanks for the history! :p

8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Spyder-Man and Ellagirl like this.
  9. Ellagirl

Ellagirl Formula 3

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    #26334 Ellagirl, Oct 10, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Yes very interesting, afaik,the lm 002 was using the automotive qv engine,fi or dd,. the military,offroad big 8,2-9,3 litre was originally an offroad engine only, not ever intended for highway use,that beeing said,would it not be amazing if they ever developed a bad ass off road vehicle,road legal,with this big amazing engine.or better yet,a Lamborghini big dually,9,3 v12 4x4, crew cab,awesome,we could all pull our boats and classic cars around. All jokes aside,here in the US,it would probably outsell every existing Current model out there, knowing how we love pick up trucks, or how about a Raptor killer? Sky is the limit.

vfinaldi likes this.
  10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Boating as we know it in the US exists in many forms, again, some people prefer Lamborghini to Chevy just as some people prefer Italian cars to Musclecars, some prefer Lake Tahoe or Lake Arrowhead to the Atlantic Ocean, some prefer cruising around to competition, again, Apples to Oranges, different applications, each to their own.

Ferruccio Lamborghini himself started it, and Lamborghini engines have been successfully used for boating, and the company's boating heritage is underscored by winning the Class 1 World Powerboat Championship no less than a staggering 10 times.

Lamborghini has established quite an impressive marine heritage & competition record via it's Motori Marini program, and the fact that the seed was planted by none other the founding father himself, Ferruccio Lamborghini, is very cool.

One of the times when I spoke with Patrick Mimran I could tell how proud he was of developing that program based on Ferruccio's inspiration, well worth it as Lamborghini would eventually become World Champions.

The story of Lamborghini’s marine engines started in the late 60s when Ferruccio Lamborghini decided to use twin Lamborghini engines in boat designed by Eugenio Molinari, the same engines were then fitted in a Riva Super Aquarama which took part in the first offshore race on the Adriatic Sea from Cervia to Pola with the boss himself at the helm.

I think you'll find this interesting http://rivalamborghini.com/

Image Unavailable, Please Login

vfinaldi likes this.
  11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    For anyone interested, the net result of the Motori Marini program was no less than 10 Class 1 World Powerboat Championship wins beginning in 1994, including a record 7-years-in-a-row winning streak from 2001 onwards

vfinaldi likes this.
  12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  13. EarlyCat

EarlyCat Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 9, 2005
    Shot gun shack in another part of the world
    Full Name:
    Marty Bryde
    #26338 EarlyCat, Oct 11, 2019 at 5:28 AM
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019 at 2:20 PM
    I knew the marine engines were bigger, but I assumed closer to a LM002 engine & I thought it was more of an external casting thing. 8200 - 9300cc!!

14. Ellagirl

Ellagirl Formula 3

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Absolutly,agree, it is really cool that this big 4 valve engine came to good use,also the fact that the basic engine and castings where already paid for from another project ,wich was scrapped, nobody in their right mind would develope this engine for the marine racing industry, unless you got Mercury/Brunswick money and reputation. Boat racing is a non profit hobby,for shure,if we ever saw one. To become a millionaire in boat racing,you will have to begin as a billionaire, also lets not confuse Feruccio s Riva,Car engine set up,(most of these Rivas had Chevy Engines as standard) with the big military engine development, they where done,to no use,great ide to sell them to race guys.also all engines wich where used for racing where fuel injected. probably the prettiest sexiest engines ever.

15. Albert-LP

Albert-LP Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #26340 Albert-LP, Oct 11, 2019 at 8:39 AM
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019 at 8:47 AM
    ladies and gentlemen, here you are a world premiere: the first images of the Countach VIN 1120001 restored interior, almost completed. Some details still to be done, like the speakers perforations. This has been possible thanks to the books I gave the restorer and (above all) thanks to info given by several forum members here (a special thank to member RaymondQV) in February, this year. The car interior has been redone based on what I told and showed the restorer: and that comes from books and from you all as said. The first LP400 prototype will shine againg at Lamborghini Factory Museum (after another step still to be done, a wiring harness full restore), with the correct interior shape and colors.

I want to tell you that the restorer found a small piece of the original interior concealed in the car and I want to share with you that it was exactly of the greenish color, you can see it on the Countach roof, in the last picture: well done.

Pictures Copyright : me and Nuova Automobili Lamborghini.

I cannot post Hi-rez pictures, sorry, nor the complete interior, just some details to give an idea of the final result of this great restore.

Thank you all again.

ciao

Ciro Izzo, Ellagirl, vfinaldi and 6 others like this.
  16. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Ciao Alberto,
    I'm very happy I could help, please let me know if they plan something special at the facory Museum, would love to join.

Lemacc, joe sackey and Albert-LP like this.
  17. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    Very nice Alberto!!!!

Mike

Albert-LP likes this.
  18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Bravo Alberto, fantastic effort.

And thank you for throwing this thread a lifeline to rescue it from drowning at sea ;)

Albert-LP likes this.
  19. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula Junior

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Ciao Alberto, great post. From memory did you not use to own a black on red Countach?

Joe and others, will a 700hp marine engine fit in my QV :D

Albert-LP likes this.
  20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Dear Rob,

I cannot tell you if a 700hp Marine Engine will fit in your Countach.

But, my wife says one can fit in our living room :eek:

Hope you guys are well.

21. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Never, unless you cut your car in two half and widen her about 10inches

Spyder-Man and Albert-LP like this.
  22. Ellagirl

Ellagirl Formula 3

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    I think Harald (Sinatra Miura amongst others) in Norway. Just bought a single engine old Italian boat with a carbed marine Lambo engine.

23. Albert-LP

Albert-LP Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Yes I did. The L804 engine (I think the last four valves offshore engine name was that, I'm going by memories, maybe I'm wrong) is a "big block " that won't ever fit your Lamborghini.

Ciao

24. Spyder-Man

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    We are great thanks. Looking forward to our British winter ( Not )

What a stunning coffee table base that would make! ;)

Give my best to Mrs M Sackey, :) She has great taste!

R

25. Spyder-Man

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hi Albert, your 5000s was an absolute stunning example. I loved that car. Please do keep us updated on the progress of the little green car :D

Ciao