Countach Technical Thread & Questions | Page 15 | LamborghiniChat
News

Countach Technical Thread & Questions

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Supercars' started by jollygood, Mar 18, 2013.

1. JohnMH

JohnMH Karting

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai, UAE
    I live in a hot climate and have run Evans in my BB, LP400S, and TR for years with zero issues and zero corrosion (no water in the system). And you don’t need to swap it out every 2 years to renew the corrosion inhibitors.

EarlyCat likes this.
  2. tet

tet Rookie

Aug 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    tetsuji watanabe

Cam specs In Opens TDC 45, closes BDC 75
    EX Opens BDC 75, closes TDC 45

it mean BTDC 45' ABDC 75' ?
    and Is it same 1985 QV?

3. MiuraP400

MiuraP400 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 3, 2008
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim
    You are correct about the BTDC and ABDC. The owners manual should have the cam specs in it, I know the 5000S does. You do not mention which QV. The downdraft and the fi have different cams.

Cheers Jim

4. tet

tet Rookie

Aug 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    tetsuji watanabe
    Thank you.
    but I dont have owners manual.

5. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    I need some brake fluid asap. What are you guys using in your Countach these days in your original Gerlin?
    In the past my techs used Castrol LMA, Motul. Th eLAM is supposed to be gentle on the master cylinder, less corrosive.
    I suppose I need DOT3 right ? then moisture absorbant or not?
    I also need fluid I can find easliy locally not in some mail order specialty shops.

6. sp1der

sp1der Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    I replaced the master cylinder with an aluminium BMW 7 series part to avoid these corrosion issues which will ultimately happen with the cast iron part. Its literally plug and play with some very small tweaks to the brake pipes.

7. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Did that too but what I need to know is what fluid do people use for the ole girling. I lost mine. a rear leak developed over winter storage and lost it there.

8. sp1der

sp1der Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    I am just using standard Halfords dot4 without testing hard to understand the exact nature of the fluid compositions e.g lubricity, potential seal swell etc. If the car leaked over winter likely a relaxation of a mechanical joint somewhere, not sure a change of fluid will help as all brake fluid except synthetic will absorb fluid.

9. sp1der

sp1der Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Sorry should have made clear in last post that all fluids will absorb moisture.

10. EarlyCat

EarlyCat Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 9, 2005
    Shot gun shack in another part of the world
    Full Name:
    Marty Bryde
    I use Castrol dot 3 or 4.

11. dinonz308

dinonz308 Karting
    Giallo Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean Cleaver
    What tool do you use to remove the screws holding the shift gate in?

Also - what should be holding in the bull emblem at the back? Feels like mine has modelers clay.

12. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Rear Brakes countach QV

Here is what my search found for a countach 85 rear caliber/pads: Caliper are Front & Rear: BMW 735 (E23) 79-82

I want to mate them with:
    DP3104C EBC Redstuff Ceramic Low Dust Brake Pads; Rear
    DP3753/2C EBC Redstuff Ceramic Low Dust Brake Pads; Front

since the rear countach caliper are actually the front BMW caliper , I am not sure if the correct pads are the rear pads or the front pads (which I think would be the correct one)

The calipers can be had at autozone at decent price but they have 2 sets 46/47 or 48/49. Not sure what is different, other than some pads' hardware. If they come silver, not gold they can be plated.

https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-traction-control/brake-caliper-front/bmw/733i

Can anyone bless this?

13. MiuraP400

MiuraP400 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 3, 2008
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Looking at the photos the 46/47 calipers have a web between the flanges that bolt the caliper to the axial the other ones do not. I would look at your old ones to match them up.

Cheers Jim

14. Downdraft1

Downdraft1 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2008
    i shaped a piece of wood with a rounded seat with three metal studs protruding, worked great and did not scratch the screw heads

Behind the rug you should find a series of 5mm brass nuts and washers that secure the bull and scripts. The bull should not be able to shift if you try to move it

15. sp1der

sp1der Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Will dig out my old calipers and take a look over the week-end, I think I still have the pads, I had redstuff on my car with the original calipers and found the pads tended to loose small chunks out of them.

16. dinonz308

dinonz308 Karting
    Giallo Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean Cleaver
    I pulled mine out, and the badge itself has no threads on the posts at the back at all, and doesn't look like they have been stripped. Checking Eurospares, and it seems they're supposed to have a nylon seal they push in to - those seals are definitely missing from my car.

17. dinonz308

dinonz308 Karting
    Giallo Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean Cleaver
    Is anyone aware of websites with "how to's" for Countachs? For my Ferrari 328 there's many sites with how to intructions to do various jobs, but I seem to draw a blank on Countach help. Things like removing the instrument panel, getting to the front auxiliary lights (mine seems to have had water pool and dry behind the front glass), replacing the headlight bulbs etc

18. sp1der

sp1der Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Short answer is no, for headlight bulb handbook shows you how. For side lights there are 2 little spring clips you have to unhook to get the sidelight/indicator unit out. Then you can clean inside. To be honest to do this it is easier taking the front bonnet off to get easy access. Instrument panel 4 Allen bolts you can see, drop column down to lowest position and put tape in dash binacle to stop leather getting scratched as you remove, there should be enough cable slack plus Speedo cable slack to allow you to pull out.

dinonz308 likes this.
  19. dinonz308

dinonz308 Karting
    Giallo Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean Cleaver
    Thanks Simon - appreciate that!

20. sp1der

sp1der Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Will get some pictures of how to do just got to find them.