Countach Downdraft | Page 625 | LamborghiniChat
News

Countach Downdraft

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Supercars' started by joe sackey, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Beautiful stunning,But they never looked like this when new, regardless, Why not? Its beeing redone.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. You make a good point that's an important one Nils.

When we restored GLA12997 I insisted it was done sympathetically leaving as much as the factory 'character' as possible using all it's original components. Yet still it was a little over-restored, but I made the finish mellow by driving the car often over the next 4 years post-restoration.

I learned a lot from that experience and if I do another restoration it will be absolutely authentic to period finish, if you have the right reference points, authentic finishes, like the Campagnolo Bravo wheels Emilio posted in the other thread, can be done.

Unfortunately, many of today's restorers have been influenced by many owner's desire to make the car and it's components look like jewelry, for the purpose of show and not go. This has resulted in prolific over-restoration that produces paintwork that is far too bright & glossy, cad-plating that is much more gold in hue than it ever was, and a plethora of swapped-out replacement parts, all in the pursuit for perfection - which the cars never came with. To my mind that's not an authentic restoration, but the saddest part is most of those cars this restored will never be driven or put through their paces and properly enjoyed as Ferruccio intended.

The good news is, any car can be fully restored and yet remain authentic to period, there are some good books on this topic.

Spyder-Man likes this.
  4. Apart from the wheels, I really like that colour !

5. It looks a lot better now than in some earlier pictures from years ago - there was no rear wing, the mirrors were black and the Workmeister wheels were completely blue. I have no idea if the baby blue colour is factory or not, which makes it difficult to track down its chassis number...

6. The car was for sure bianco/bianco originally.

joe sackey likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. What books would you recommend with regards to the Countach?

9. The ones by Jean-Marc Borel, Stefano Pasini, Marchet & Coltrin, Jeremy Coulter, Peter Dron, Paul Clark, Chris Bennett, etc, essentially anything produced in production period with good images.

Period magazine articles with new car tests are great, I have a collection of almost everything polished in the Countach from 1974 to 1990.

mt_jt likes this.
  10. So Joe, this may have been addressed elsewhere but it has been a while since I have seen any talk of you doing a Countach book. After your Miura and 288 books, I had always assumed that a Sackey Countach book would roll up. Is this likely to ever happen?

Adamo Cerquozzi likes this.
  11. #15609 Adamo Cerquozzi, Jul 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
    That would be awesome

joe sackey likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. It's possible if I can make the time!

alan likes this.
  14. found replacement keyblanks for the QV
    in Italy is still possible

i know some has issues finding them so if anyone needs help PM me

Image Unavailable, Please Login

joe sackey and Spyder-Man like this.
  15. Nice work.

EMILIO likes this.
  16. I don’t know if you guys get happy about things like this but I do. Someone found me an original washer bottle cap. Mine is missing, and it drove me nuts. I know I could have used any generic cap but that would not suffice lol.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ferraridoc, Spyder-Man and joe sackey like this.
  17. alan, EMILIO, EarlyCat and 3 others like this.