Diablo - Change paint color | LamborghiniChat
News

Diablo Change paint color

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Supercars' started by robert biscan, Jun 1, 2019.

1. robert biscan

robert biscan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    I have a 99 roadster and it is the pewter grey like a lot of them are. Great paint condition and no real reason to paint except to make it very special. I am leaning to a factory color of Verde Scandal. I know it is not widely accepted to do a color change. The car has 24k miles but is overall great condition. What do you think? Opinions please.

2. Ellagirl

Ellagirl Formula 3

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    I spoke to Bruce Canepa reg this on his very dark green Countach, he told me this is done often ,in their restoration shop, think 959 Porsche. To me,if done in a perfect pro manner,i have no problem with it, its your car,do what you please,but do it 100%, my only comment would be to evaluate wich color to use on a car to car basis, time period correct,and try to stay on the older side as opposed to a new bright Candy color,iow a Countach in Arancio Atlas or Verde Itacha would not be a very good choice,imho. All this beeing said,i am a car enthusiast,not a car collector,my skin is in another business. Reg the very bright green you are suggesting on your Diablo,i personally think it would look to "new and Freshly pained" then again,the average guy woul probably love it.

S_AGATA likes this.
  3. In my opinion it's a shame to get rid of the original paint if it's still in a good condition. I prefer to keep as many parts of a special car as original as possible. Have you ever thought about a car wrap?

S_AGATA likes this.
  4. joe sackey

joe sackey Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Wrap.

Igor Ound, Spyder-Man and S_AGATA like this.
  5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed Formula Junior
    Giallo Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yeh totally agree - in this day and age why make such a permanent change when you can get 95% of what ur looking for through a wrap that doesnt cost all that much and you can reverse it simply.

Ellagirl likes this.
  6. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Karting

Aug 28, 2015
    Southern California
    Be careful with wraps. They can tear off sheets of original paint upon removal and the glue alone can even damage some softer vintage (nitro, etc.) paints. Plus shops use razor blades to trim and fit them, sometimes cutting paint and trim (gaskets, chrome) in the process. Google it for war stories. I would not wrap.

joe sackey likes this.
  7. joe sackey

joe sackey Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I've never wrapped a car, I've not even used protective film on any car, so I'm not familiar with the downsides of the use of film.

But I definitely wouldn't spend the money repainting a Diablo which already has "great paint condition", plus I think the color-change would be a mistake, I'd rather sell that car and buy one in the color I want.

Igor Ound and vfinaldi like this.
  8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed Formula Junior
    Giallo Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ive used them on dozens of cars for 12 years - no issues - and the stuff you wld put on today is way better than it was....

9. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    The lesser of 2 evils, I'd wrap it. BUT, just like sprayers....there are excellent wrappers and there are...not. Be careful.

10. robert biscan

robert biscan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    The wrap guy in Nashville said he could and would wrap it and then backed out. He said the paint is not letting the film stick good enough. I guess too much polish.

11. Ellagirl

Ellagirl Formula 3

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    It is a huge point reg Lamborghinis paint process/quality of application,also its aluminum and composit panels, Who knows how well the paint sticks in its original application,i would absolutely take this in concideration reg the removal of the film at some point.

12. EarlyCat

EarlyCat Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 9, 2005
    Shot gun shack in another part of the world
    Full Name:
    Marty Bryde
    Maybe the answer is both.

Booker likes this.
  13. robert biscan

robert biscan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    That removable paint looks great.

14. Bas Jaski

Bas Jaski Rookie

Mar 24, 2008
    Portugal
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Wraps look ****.

If you repaint document every step (preferably get some video before it goes in even to absolutely prove there's no damage). Who cares if you lose a little bit of value. Your car, sounds like you'll keep it for a long time. Do it right.

Ellagirl likes this.